Works by Diggs Gallery Director and Artist Featured in New York Times and Huffington Post

CreditEndia Beal
"The work of Endia Beal, interim director of Winston-Salem State University’s Diggs Gallery and highly acclaimed photographer and multimedia artist, was recently the subject of New York Times and Huffington Post articlesfor her bold photo series titled “Am I What You’re Look For. ”
In her work, Beal uses photography and video to tell the often- untold stories of race and diversity in the corporate setting. She uses portraits of African-American women in office settings, their words, and videos to illustrate what women of color are thinking in this setting and what their hopes and dreams are for the future.

In the articles, she is asked a series of questions about what inspired her work; how she identified the women she worked with; if she identified with those women; as well as questions about how she got into photography.

Of the latter, Beal says in part “When I was in high school, my first love was shot and killed. I found art as a vehicle to deal with it. At that time, I just wanted to be alone. Through art I found a voice. I realized that his death was tragic, but what was even more tragic was how he was painted in the media as this kind of thug, as a criminal, but he was really in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was a poet, he was an artist, he was a lover of music. I realized that the people that I loved around me were dying senselessly, and their personal stories weren’t being told.”

Or


Call to arrange a visit to Diggs Gallery located in O’Kelly Library on the campus of Winston-Salem State University. The number is 336-750-2458."

- A Press Release

No comments: